(215) 291-2968 Wednesday - May 05, 2021


Sports Nutrition Tips from the Men’s Soccer US National Team’s Dietitian   Proper Hydration- Dehydration will impact performance. Water, electrolyte drinks, smoothies, and fresh fruit all contribute to hydration needs. Water replaces fluids but sodium, potassium, and magnesium are also lost during prolonged bouts of exercise. Weigh yourself before and after working out, and replace

Sports Nutrition Tips from the Men’s Soccer

US National Team’s Dietitian

 

  • Proper Hydration- Dehydration will impact performance. Water, electrolyte drinks, smoothies, and fresh fruit all contribute to hydration needs. Water replaces fluids but sodium, potassium, and magnesium are also lost during prolonged bouts of exercise. Weigh yourself before and after working out, and replace each pound of weight loss with 2.5 cups of water. 

 

  • Food First- Food should be the primary source of fuel and nutrients, not supplements. An example of a meal three to four hours prior to a game would include whole-grain pasta with bolognese sauce, chicken breast, grilled asparagus, watermelon and pineapple.

 

  • Post-workout Eating- Carbohydrate and protein mixed will aid muscle recovery. A glass of chocolate milk with a banana is a great example of a post work out snack.

 

  • 80/20 Principle- The team follows this principle that states that 80% of the time you should eat highly nutritious foods like lean proteins, brightly colored vegetables, whole grains, beans, nuts, seeds, and low-fat dairy. For the other 20% of the time there is more flexibility in what you eat.

 

  • Healthy Fats- Healthy fats should be added to your diet through fatty fish, nuts, seeds, avocados, and olive oil.

 

  • Healing Foods for Injury- Emphasize whole grains such as oatmeal, quinoa, and wild rice. Other recovery foods include fatty fish, green leafy vegetables, and legumes.

 

  • For more information visit: http://www.eatright.org/SportsNutrition/
  • Reference: Press Release interview with Danielle LaFata, RD

    http://www.eatright.org/Media/

    http://www.easports.com/2014-fifa-world-cup

Predefined Skins

Primary Color

Background Color

Example Patterns

demo demo demo demo demo demo demo demo demo demo